Saturday, April 3, 2010

Have a Blessed Easter from the Beary Scrap


It's Saturday, so that means it is time for me to wrap up this week's theme from The Beary Scrap - Easter Inspirations. As usual, the Beary Scrappy Gals have provided such delightful projects all week long!
I know most people use very "springy" colors for their Easter creations, but I wanted to do something a little different. I have always been inspired by Sacred Russian art, and wanted to do a card based on those influences. I fell in love with this limited edition set of Crosses by Spellbinders, and knew they would be perfect.
I cut the layers of my cross out of red (Brick) Bazzill cardstock, that I covered in composition gold leaf, before cutting/embossing. (If you look at Russian Icons, there is often a red paint that shows through some of the gold. ) I then sanded some of the areas of the cross with a sanding block to expose some of the red underneath. I used dimensionals to build up my layers and glued red Swarovski crystals as an embellishment.
I placed the cross on a layer of SEI velvet paper, that I had embossed with a cuttlebug folder. I added another piece of the velvet paper, that had been punched using the Treading Water punch. I stitched my layers with gold thread to add to the opulence.

The sentiment was printed from my computer onto Bazzill cardstock, and cut out with the Fancy Labels from Spellbinders. I wanted to have an "antiqued glitz" to this as well, so I rubbed Distress Stickles in Frayed Burlap and Antique Linen over the top. If you haven't tried the Distress Stickles, they look completely different from normal stickles. They really do give a nice worn look that I love. Finally, I added the pearls at the bottom.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Easter and gets to spend time with those you love! Be sure to come and visit us next week for more fun!

Here are my challenges for this card:
Sketch and Stash - sketch (new cross spellbinders/old velvet paper)
Corrosive - Easter
Incy Wincy - Sewing
Lexi's Creations- Easter
Papertake Weekly- open
ABC - "R" red
Crafty Creations - anything goes
Penny's Challenges - Easter
Simon Says Stamp - So Distressing
Cute Card Thursday - Easter
Shirley's 2 Girls - Anything goes
Fussy and Fancy- Easter

25 comments:

Mandy said...

Gini your card is beautiful hun, love the colours and the cross looks fabulous.
Thanks so much for your sweet comment about my loss of my puppy dog, I really appreciate it
hugs Mandy xx

cheryl said...

oh this is stunning hun the colurs on the cross look amazing,hugs cheryl xxx

Cassie_lu said...

this is stunning and the depth is amazing

Stef H said...

wow! this is absolutely gorgeous!!

happy easter!

Penny said...

Absolutely stunning! Thanks so much for joining us at Penny's this week!

Becky said...

Wow! Your card is so amazing!!
Thanks so much for joining us at Sketch and Stash!
Love Becky xx

Helen said...

Wow - this is stunning!
Thanks for joining us at the ABC Challenge!
Helen x

Cat said...

What a gorgeous project! LOVE the Vintage look! Thanks for joining us at S2G!

Jeannie said...

Very beautiful and thanks so much for joining us for Twisted Thursday at Shirley's 2 Girls!

Peace & Luv,
Jeannie

Heather "Hev" said...

Wow this is very stylish :)

Thank you for joining us at Incy Wincy Challenge and have a Happy Easter :)

Please visit my personal blog Vanilla Hevn

Shawne said...

OMG, amazing love all of textures and rich colors!

Nikki said...

What a Rich Looking Card love all the warm tones to it :) Thanks for Playing Incy Wincy this Week
Hugs Nikki and the rest of the DT

Georgia said...

How lovely! Thanks for playing this week at S2G TT.

debby4000 said...

Wonderful card, the cross is beautiful can't believe its made with cardstock.
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamps Challenge.
luv
Debby

Ann English said...

What a beautiful card!!! Thanks for joining us this week for Twisted Thursday at Shirleys2Girls!

Claire Phillips said...

Thanks for playing along at Crafty Creations this week in our 'Anything goes' challenge. Another Great project - wonderful texture and distressing - good luck in the draw. Cheers Claire x

Mandy said...

Gorgeous card.

Thank you for joining us at PTW.

Mandy

Darlene said...

Oh my gosh ... this is absolutely stunning! Thanks for joining us at Penny's Challenge!

Lisa said...

Lovely! Thanks for playing this week with Shirley's 2 Girls!

Alison (Groovycrafter) said...

Really gorgeous...
Thanks for joining us at Penny's
Hugs Alison.xx

Cathy said...

Gorgeous card. Thank you for joining in the Sketch and Stash and ABC challenges this time.
Cathy xx

IsabellasSketchbook said...

Beautiful card! Love the texture.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous Easter card! Thank you for joining us at Fussy and Fancy Friday!
Hugs,
April

Debbie said...

Congratulations! Your card was selected over at shirleys2girls Twisted Thursday Challenge as a winner! Email me at daniels.deb@gmail.com. You've won your choice of 2 free digis from the shirleys2girls website! Congratulations!

Ann English said...

This card is stunning. So glad to hear you won!